Opening Hours

Open at 9:00am on Tuesday

Opening Hours

  • Monday - Thursday

    9:00am - 8:00pm

  • Friday

    9:00am - 5:30pm

  • Saturday

    9:00am - 5:00pm

  • Sunday

    Closed All Day

Our Address

Key, Baines House,

4 Midgery Court, Fulwood,

Preston, PR2 9ZH

UK FREEPHONE

0808 252 9170

Understanding equity release: Inheritance protection explained

https://media.keyadvice.co.uk/mediacontainer/medialibraries/keyretirement/retirewise/2019_02_wk4-er-1920x450.jpg?ext=.jpg
Most of us want to leave something for our loved ones. It might be something with sentimental attachment. It might be a share of the money tied up in your home.

Some people believe that if you take equity release and get tax-free cash from your home now, you can’t leave any of its future value in your will.

With inheritance protection you can.

Inheritance protection, an optional feature of some equity release plans, guarantees that a percentage of your property’s future value will be available for you to leave as an inheritance when your plan comes to an end. That’s regardless of how much interest your plan has accrued at the end of its term.

To see how inheritance protection works, consider this example. A couple who are able to release £50,000 from their home want to ensure their grandchildren are left with an inheritance.

To do this, they release 60% of the £50,000 available (£30,000). That leaves the remaining 40% of the home’s future value protected and theirs to bequeath however they wish. It’s that simple.

Inheritance protection is available on several lifetime mortgage plans.

But before going ahead with equity release, you need to seek professional advice. It’s a regulatory requirement.

That’s where we come in. At Key, we’ll give you honest, expert advice tailored to your unique situation. What’s more, we know equity release isn’t for everyone. So, if it’s not right for you, we will tell you.

After all, good advice is Key.

Things to consider
 
Our independent, specialist equity release advisers compare products from the whole of the market to find the most suitable equity release plan for you. They’ll discuss all the options available to you and explain that taking an equity release plan reduces the value of your estate and may affect any means-tested benefits you’re eligible for.

With a lifetime mortgage, you’ll still own your home. It’s a loan secured against your home and is repaid when you, or the last surviving applicant, pass away or move into long-term care.
Equity release plans we recommend have a no negative equity guarantee, which means you’ll never owe more than the value of your home.

You have to get expert advice before releasing equity; it’s a regulatory requirement. Key’s initial consultation is free with no obligation to proceed. If you decide to go ahead with an equity release plan, our advice fee – usually 1.99% of the amount released, subject to a minimum of £1,499 – is payable only on completion.

Latest in Retirewise

Return to RetireWise Return to KeyAdvice